The Fashion Shopping Directory i
May 17, 2007 § 3 Comments
Shopping Directory #1 is now available. I had so much fun putting it together that I am planning to make it a quarterly publication. You can pick your copy up at:
or IM me and I’ll drop you one.
You can click & wear and it will appear in the middle of your screen in the HUD. Or you can Rez it in world and leave it out as a coffee table book so anyone can flip through it. The directory is Copy/Transfer enabled so pass it out to all your friends.
The directory is arranged in the manner that the first 13 ads are 2 page ads (they pay for the production costs). Following those are sections of the one page ads in alphabetical order of the shop name. Yes, I know a select few of the ads aren’t great works of art, but I present what the content creator submitted. Only shops that sent me ads were included. So if you really miss your favorite designer encourage them to submit to the next one.
So tell me what did you like? What did you not like about this directory that I can change? Should I take more than thirteen 2 page ads?
Who has the best ad? Vote here in the comments. The shop/line/designer with the most votes gets the First Page ad in the next Directory for free. So get your friends/alts to stuff the ballot with your votes.
Ads NOW being taken for the next Directory. Deadline is Aug. 10th. Size is going to be 1:1 ratio again. (512×512 pixel or 256×256 pixel). This is the easiest to talk through new designers to deal with SL’s uploading constraints. The Directory is limited to 1000 pages.1 page ad…………………Free
2 page ad…………………L$100 (limited # available, IM me first; the order is determined by when I receive the 2 page ad)
Please include the ad image in a notecard and name it “Fashion Directory #2 – Your name”. Please include all of the following inside the notecard as I will not be assembling this one as quickly as the last:
- The Ad image will full permissions (no gore or sexual act depictions or your ad will be tossed out)
- A landmark to your shop
- Category to place the image under: Skins/Shapes, Womens, Mens, Hair, Jewelry, Accessories, Shoes, Poses, Home
- Your avatar’s name
Design tips for your ad in the Fashion Directory.
- Show your product. If it’s clothes, then show the clothes. Shape, show the shape; etc…. Yes, this has happened.
- Have your shop name listed. Yes this has happened. More than once. I sent a few back until I got tired of doing that.
- Have your shop location listed. This makes it easier to find your shop if search yields several results it lets you pick the correct one quickly.
- Don’t have distracting busy backgrounds. If you do, you can white it out to calm it down, but don’t overdo it. It washes out the details.
- Don’t use clashing colors. I tend to use the heraldry laws of colors as a guideline because that’s where my microscopic design background comes from. I know old laws, but they still great guidelines. No metal on metal, no colors on colors. Metal means gold & silver (or in this case yellow and white) generally should not be placed on top of each other. Likewise, black is a color and should be put on metal (white or yellow). Some bending occurs to the laws of heraldry yes (see the image above), but I really think about how it looks before I keep it. You’ll be amazed at how well it works.
- Have your text readable. Pick a readable sans serif font. Use only 1 or 2 fonts if possible. Avoid script or type with lots of flourishes if possible or keep the use of it minimal.
- Keep It Simple
Article: Bad Designs Hurt Sales Alaska creates the horrible design example of a vendor to illustrate the point and then shows you how to fix it. A few changes and you can have a great ad as well.
Need professional design help? IM me and I might can put you in touch with models/photo folks to help you tout your wares.